Safety Specialist – Murata Machinery
Job Title: SAFETY SPECIALIST
Division: CLEAN FACTORY AUTOMATION
Location(s): VARIOUS LOCATIONS
Reports To: Safety Manager
Prepared By: Leslie Kantor
Prepared Date: 03/29/2019
Revised By: LESLIE KANTOR
Revised Date: 03/29/2019
Pay Grade: E-37
Approved By: MASAZUMI FUKUSHIMA
Approved Date: 03/29/2019
FLSA Status: EXEMPT
Responsible for the administration of all safety, health and environmental requirements onsite during installation and sustaining activities as directed by safety manager to include ad hoc problem solving, auditing, inspections, oversite of contact safety personnel, incident investigation with a service-oriented approach to our customers our employees and our contractors. Assists with safety program and training development and implementations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES includes the following. Other duties may be assigned.
– Develop, review, evaluate and implement Murata Machinery USA (MMUSA) health and safety policies, programs and procedures as assigned.
– Increase health and safety awareness at all levels within MMUSA.
– Investigate all serious/critical personal injury and near miss incidents involving MMUSA personnel, contractor and/or visitors. Assist operations with root cause analysis and identification of solutions for incident casual factors. Track to completion. Report on findings and follow-up.
– Investigate, assist with solutions and report on complaints of hazardous working conditions to appropriate senior staff.
– Respond to employee’s safety concerns, assist with solutions, and track to completion.
– Track and provide metrics as requested.
– Maintain all records in accordance with regulatory requirements. Prepare reports as requested.
– Provide direction for contract safety personnel.
– Conduct worksite safety inspections to recognize safe work practices, to identify hazards, and to work collaboratively with employees and management for identification and implementation of controls.
– Attend all meetings pertaining the safety of MMUSA personnel.
– Assist in the development of the site safety plans and manage the upkeep of those documents.
– Assure review of site safety plans at project kick off meetings.
– Review pre-task plans.
– Coordinate on-site customer specific safety training.
– Conduct weekly safety audits and submit reports to appropriate personnel.
– Arrange for health and safety testing and/or evaluations of the workplace by external agencies and consultants as may be necessary.
– Act as liaison with all related customer personnel and key contracted personnel.
– Develop and deliver safety training assigned.
– Coordinate the training of personnel in areas of safety including first aid, CPR, accident prevention and investigation, work place inspections and other matters related to implementing safety procedures.
– Liaise with the customer regarding emergency procedures, communications and safety education programs.
– Analyze work processes and perform risk assessments. Implement controls to mitigate those risks.
– Act as liaison with regulatory agencies as required.
– Supports Company’s commitment to a culture of safe work practices and safety excellence.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
-General knowledge of accident investigation and root cause analysis.
-Knowledgeable of OSHA regulatory requirements.
-General knowledge of safety and occupational health methods, practices, principles and procedures.
-Excellent communication skills.
-Demonstrated experience working with contractors and construction safety.
-Demonstrated experience in and ability to creatively deliver and document training in a professional manner.
-Demonstrated organizational abilities to manage multiple projects/work initiatives at one time.
-Strong writing skills, including process documentation and report preparation.
-Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as a team member within and across organizational lines to achieve Company goals.
-Ability to exercise independent judgment and take initiative within established guidelines.
– BCSP certification (CHST, OHST, ASP, GSP) preferred.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Associate degree in a Safety or equivalent education is preferred. Minimum 2 years’ experience in administration, implementation and development of environmental, safety and health programs.
Minimum of one year of developing and delivering training experience and 1-2 years of contractor/construction experience is required.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret customer requirements and specifications. Ability to write reports and programs, and to effectively present information to customers and company management.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables. Excellent technical, financial, organizational, and “process flow” analytical ability.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Familiarity with Automated Material Handling Systems (AMHS) and clean room experience preferred. Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Excellent communication and collaborative problem-solving skills. Self-motivated, adaptable to change and flexible regarding work schedule. Ability to handle stressful situations in a professional manner. Strong operational leadership and customer/contractor management skills.
Must be willing and able to travel up to 90% mainly domestic. International travel might be required. Excellent driving skills and clean driving record is required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; climb ladders or balance; stoop, kneel, or crouch; and work at heights. The employee must frequently lift and/or move 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Must be able to wear personal protective equipment as necessary.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will frequently work in a semiconductor clean room environment and occasionally works near moving mechanical parts. The employee will also actively work in a construction environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.