Industrial Hygiene Specialist – Freeport McMoRan
INDUSTRIAL HYGIENE SPECIALIST – MORENCI, AZ
Date posted 09/27/2019
Freeport-McMoRan is a premier U.S.-based natural resources company with headquarters in Phoenix, Arizona. We operate large, long-lived, geographically diverse assets with significant proven and probable reserves of copper, gold and molybdenum. The company has a dynamic portfolio of operating, expansion and growth projects in the copper industry. Freeport-McMoRan is the world’s largest publicly traded copper producer, the world’s largest producer of molybdenum and a significant gold producer. We have a long and successful history of conducting our business in a safe, highly efficient and socially-responsible manner. We have the assets, the talent, the drive and the financial strength to provide attractive and rewarding careers for our employees. We encourage you to take some time to explore your career opportunities at Freeport-McMoRan.
Engage primarily with the frontline workforce to raise awareness of health and safety policies, risks and controls. Facilitate processes in the Health & Safety Management System, including occupational health programs and hazard assessments to ensure compliance with government laws and regulations, and company policies.
- Assist or conduct detailed exposure assessments, analyses of operational procedures, facility design, equipment and materials, and audits. Develop, recommend and facilitate implementation of appropriate controls for occupational health hazards.
- Directs employee engagement activities such as risk assessments and raising general occupational health awareness to employees, managers, and other stakeholders.
- Prepare appropriate reports and presentations for management. Communicate effectively in one-on-one and group situations, both verbally and in writing.
- Conducts and leads safety audits and inspects facilities within area of responsibility to ensure a safe working environment and compliance with regulatory laws.
- Manages functions or projects and may have supervisory responsibilities.
- Trains staff from multiple divisions in health and safety procedures, including specialized occupational health training (e.g., confined space, hearing conservation) and Annual Refresher Training as required.
- Accompanies MSHA/OSHA/State Mine Inspectors and document regulated field activities.
- Conducts health and safety orientations, visit work sites and distribute literature to implement and promote health, safety and environmental policies and procedures.
- May administer workers’ compensation program for the company, including interacting with workers’ compensation insurers, monitoring claims, developing and administering loss prevention and rehabilitation management/monitoring programs, maintain files, and provide necessary support in defense of claims.
- Perform other duties as required
- Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Hygiene, Public Health, or closely related scientific or technical discipline with no experience required.
- At least one (1) internship or co-op experience (or equivalent) working in mining or industrial environment
- Ability to understand and apply verbal and written work and safety-related instructions and procedures given in English
- Ability to communicate in English with respect to job assignments, job procedures, and applicable safety standards
- Must be able to work in a potentially stressful environment
- Work is performed in a mine or manufacturing plant which may include exposure to extremes in temperature and humidity, moving mechanical parts, risk of electrical shock, toxic chemicals, explosives, fumes or airborne particles
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit, demonstrate manual dexterity, climb stairs and ladders, work on elevated platforms, talk, hear and see
- Occasionally may be required to lift moderately heavy to heavy objects up to fifty (50) pounds during the course of the workday
- Personal protective equipment is required on a regular basis, including hard hat, hearing protection, safety glasses, safety footwear, and as needed, respirator, rubber steel-toe boots, protective clothing, gloves, and other protective equipment as required
- Freeport-McMoRan promotes a drug/alcohol free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing and on-going random drug testing as per applicable State Laws
Freeport-McMoRan has reviewed the jobs at its various office and operating sites and determined that many of these jobs require employees to perform essential job functions that pose a direct threat to the safety or health of the employees performing these tasks or others. Accordingly, the company has designated the following positions as safety-sensitive:
- Site-based positions, or positions which require unescorted access to site-based operational areas, which are held by employees who are required to receive MSHA, OSHA, DOT, HAZWOPER and/or Hazard Recognition Training; or
- Positions which are held by employees who operate equipment, machinery or motor vehicles in furtherance of performing the essential functions of their job duties, including operating motor vehicles while on company business or travel (for this purpose “motor vehicles” includes company owned or leased motor vehicles and personal motor vehicles used by employees in furtherance of company business or while on company travel); or
- Positions which Freeport-McMoRan has designated as safety sensitive positions in the applicable job or position description and which upon further review continue to be designated as safety-sensitive based on an individualized assessment of the actual duties performed by a specifically identified employee.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veteran/DisabilityJob
Industrial Hygiene Specialist – Morenci, AZ
Primary Location United States Arizona Morenci Requisition ID1904359