Director of Safety and Compliance
Position Announcement – Director of Safety and Compliance
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Send resumes to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Our client, a leading motor carrier in the southwest is seeking a dynamic Director of Safety and Compliance. The Director will have responsibility for developing and ensuring strict adherence to all applicable safety-related standards, regulations, as well as safety transportation policies and procedures involving the loading, unloading and movement of CMV’s in the southwest for both hazardous and non-hazardous materials. The ideal candidate must have the proven ability to identify and achieve critical company related safety goals and objectives, with demonstrated ability to lead and build relationships within the organization to successfully support the function. Excellent career opportunity with a stable and growing organization, offering a competitive compensation package.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Demonstrate effective and proactive Transportation Safety Management techniques to ensure company safety and other procedures are in compliance; safety personnel are effectively observing and coaching employees, equipment and products are safely loaded and unloaded; vehicles are properly maintained.
- Supervise direct reports.
- Ensure periodic safety meetings are held with pertinent personnel.
- Promote employee awareness and compliance with company policies and procedures regarding proper conduct, safety, driving, vehicle maintenance, DOT regulations, etc.
- Address and resolve incidents of non-compliances or infractions of Company safety policies immediately.
- Ensure that the Company adheres to federal, state and local industry safety rules and regulations at all levels.
- Develop clear communication of policies, procedures, and practices designed to support the safe and efficient transportation of all customer materials and vehicles.
- Create, implement, and maintain training programs.
- Establish and maintain complete safety and training records.
- Develop, update and manage workplace safety programs, procedures and policies.
- Conduct random safety audits and inspections to ensure compliance with DOT requirements.
- Identify potential problem areas and develop recommendations and action plans for improvement, including implementation and supporting activity (training, rewards, accountabilities, etc.).
- Ensure drug and alcohol programs are in compliance.
- Advise senior management of all related issues and propose/develop pertinent recommendations, as necessary.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of FMCSA, HMR, and OSHA workplace regulations.
- Knowledge of industry training and compliance programs such as HM-126f and HM 183.
- Ability to identify and define problems, collect and analyze data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions, and make appropriate recommendations.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and direct, plan work schedules, assign or delegate work on a daily basis, develop and mentor employees and take corrective actions when necessary.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite applications (MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, MS Outlook)
- Driven and self-motivated, with sound judgment, with ability to make quick and rational decisions.
- Ability to communicate clearly and courteously in all instances.
QUALIFICATIONS• Bachelor’s degree in Safety Management or related field and 10+ years’ experience in safety management or transportation safety OR an equivalent combination of experience, education and/or training.
Equal Opportunity Employer.